Romans 12:1-2

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - This is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform an longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and aprove what God's will is -- his good, pleasing, and perfect will.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Righteousness

Have you ever noticed how much God talks about the concept of being righteous in the Bible? As you know, I have been reading through the Bible this year. Basically I read a few chapters of the OT/NT in the morning and a Psalm or Proverb in the evening, (there is a schedule).
As I read through, I have noticed that the Bible is loaded with God's desire for us to be righteous, or what I've determined to mean, being right with God and his standards for our lives. The books of Psalm and Proverbs is full of references to righteousness. This must be important to God!! It should also be important to us!!

7 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

I have been thinking about this idea lately too. What is righteousness? I think we usually believe it is simply doing "good." However, being good and being holy are not the same things. What is the motivation? Do I have certain standards for my life because that's just "what you do as a Christian" or because it is derived from scripture? Interesting topic.

Chris said...

Kelly,
I had the same thought that righteousness and holiness are not the same thing. I don't have a good definition of what righteousness is, even though I attempted in my blog. Righteousness appears to be different in the OT vs. NT. This is definitely a topic that will require a great deal of study.

Kelly Glupker said...

I think righteousness is holiness. I just don't think that being "good" is being righteous.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly Glupker said...

Anonymous,
I am confused as to what you are referring to when you say "pedestal"? I never said I was holy or righteous. I was simply sharing my thoughts on what I perceive those things to be. You appear to have misuderstood me.

Ben said...

I would be pleased to say that Kelly sits all alone on the pedestal of this man's heart.

(I do, however, take some pains to ensure that she is not lonely.)

Pam said...

Anonymous,
I too am confused as to why you would put that. I was enjoying the insight of all and enjoy the thoughts it provokes.
"Kentucky Mrs. Glupker" (as the kids call you) we enjoy your comments. Thank you.